[Building Sakai] Alternative interface for Forums

Adrian Fish adrian.r.fish at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 05:56:44 PST 2013

I presume that's a hot topic. Is there a JIRA?

My basic idea is that rather than support a distinct backend for YAFT, it
probably makes sense to actually make a copy as a new tool which actually
hits the Forums providers for data. No JSF, RSF, Wicket, Tapestry. Just a
servlet to bootstrap the tool and then JS and templates from that point on.

A note to YAFT users: I'm not dropping YAFT or anything drastic like that.
If an alternative, configurable front end styled after YAFT works we can
think about migration tools where we migrate data from current YAFT
installations into the Forums tables. It's likely that some extra entity
providers may need writing, but I don't see any reason why it won't work.

Cheers,
Adrian.