[Building Sakai] Sakai on Rails

Mark Triggs mark at dishevelled.net
Fri Jun 14 15:22:18 PDT 2013

Hi Jim,

I haven't looked at Rails apps in Sakai, but I have done some work with
NYU to integrate a little Sinatra app.  It's a fairly standard Ruby
application, built into a a .war file using Warbler, and deployed into
Tomcat in the usual way.

It's hosted on MSub here:

  https://source.sakaiproject.org/svn/msub/nyu.edu/2.8.1/sakai/trunk/surrogates/

There's a custom web.xml to apply the Sakai request filter (giving us
access to sessions, etc.):

  https://source.sakaiproject.org/svn/msub/nyu.edu/2.8.1/sakai/trunk/surrogates/config/web.xml.erb

and a little trickery in "SakaiParams" under app/main.rb to get access
to the full set of request parameters.

It's a pretty light integration so I'm not sure what would be required
to interoperate with Spring/Hibernate and friends, but the approach
worked nicely for this kind of self-contained admin tool.

Cheers,

Mark

--
Mark Triggs