[Building Sakai] Sakai Indie Projects

Noah Botimer botimer at umich.edu
Tue Jun 4 11:28:37 PDT 2013

This is really a question best asked on the sakai-dev list. I have CC'd it. Briefly...

There was an effort to allow modules / tools to be released by their teams distinct from the main CLE releases. The "indie" is shorthand for "independently released".

The basis of this effort was to distribute these larger, independently maintained modules as binaries and change the main checkout to omit their source to save time and simplify the working copy for developers.

Initially, the indie projects were those like Samigo, Message Center, and Profile 2.

However, we have since found that most developers prefer to check out all of the source, so the SVN externals were adjusted in the parallel "-all" branches. These simply include all of the modules and exclude the "core-deploy" module that does the binary installation for indies.

There is discussion around eliminating the indie project pattern and reverting to a single, comprehensive checkout, amongst other simplifications to the build, release, and deployment processes. Some of these ideas were discussed on Sunday:

https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/TCC/2013+Apereo+TCC+Meeting+Notes

The most specific background and proposal on this topic is the linked PDF:

https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/download/attachments/83035608/cle-release-process-proposal.pdf

There will surely be updates sent to the community as this is discussed and further changes are planned.

Thanks,
-Noah