[Building Sakai] CAS and other filter configuration for login tool

John Bush john.bush at rsmart.com
Wed Jan 30 10:58:01 PST 2013

it controls the CAS/shib config.  Its not tied to the
sakai-configuration.xml, because it needs to be loaded at the webapp
lifecycle, you wouldn't be able to do that with that older mechanism
b/c there is no web context to deal with the filters, I'm certain
spring would not like that.  I put a ticket up so people can look at
it, might make more sense with something to look at.

The nice thing is for implementors you can adjust your config and then
recycle the login-tool to apply config changes, no need to restart the
whole tomcat and component mgr.

On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 11:46 AM, Aaron Zeckoski <azeckoski at unicon.net> wrote:
> I like the idea but I thought that there was already the ability to
> load spring config using an xml file in sakai home (or are you saying
> you leveraged this existing functionality in order to control the
> CAS/shib config).
>
> -AZ
>

> On Wed, Jan 30, 2013 at 12:58 PM, John Bush <john.bush at rsmart.com> wrote:
>> I did some work yesterday that I'm not sure anyone else cares about.
>> But if someone is interested let me know and I'll submit a jira/patch.
>>
>> We had a long standing issue of configuring CAS/Shib and other signon
>> mechanisms that require servlet filters.  The issue is that you have
>> to modify web.xml's to configure these things.  That mucks up our
>> whole binary deployment model, and leads to a bunch of annoying
>> practices for managing those changes.
>>
>> So what I did was create a way to drop a spring config file in
>> sakai.home that wires up your filters with their configuration.  I
>> built on Spring's DelegatingFilterProxy and ContextLoader to do this
>> in a way that works if you have this file in your sakai.home folder or
>> not.
>>
>> Like I said if this has value to anyone else let me know.
>> --
>> John Bush
>> 602-490-0470

John Bush