[Building Sakai] . Re: Elastic Search (SRCH-111) (John Bush)

Ian Boston ieb at tfd.co.uk
Sun Jan 27 21:22:13 PST 2013

On 27 January 2013 16:13, Colin Hebert <colin.hebert at it.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> I'm not sure why you would _need_ to implement a WAL.

To avoid having to commit segments to disk on every update ?

If you soft commit you risk loosing data. If you commit on every
update you cause a reader reload on every update which flushes all
term vectors and cached information. Having a WAL you can replay in
the event of failure means you can do a soft commit to memory avoiding
having to perform a hard commit. At least, thats the way ES avoids
hard commits on every update.  Unfortunately, Solr master/slave
replication requires hard commits to replicate. If you buy a
commercial Solr distribution from Lucid then IIUC you get replication
of soft commit. ES replicates by replicating the write operation
avoiding the hard commit issue completely.

HTH
Ian