[Building Sakai] break a rich text editor when you change sakai common and search version

Sanghyun Jeon euksa99 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 18:37:43 PST 2013

Hello All,

Recently we applied MSGCNTR-354 (
https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/MSGCNTR-354  ) into our sakai 2.7.0 in
order to set a different default setting for the “Watch” email notification
in Forums. Today we are notified Forums and Messages tool display the text
box instead of a rich text editor. When we revert our previous version of
messageforums-tool.war back under webapps and the rich text editors are
back. (other tools, such as blogger still have its rich editor)

Here are the interesting parts:

1)    Mvn clean build under /sakai/messageforums/messageforums-component-impl

And restart tomcat à the rich text editor is still working fine.

2)    Mvn clean build under sakai/messageforums and restart tomcat à the
rich text editor is gone and changed into the text box

We diff between the original sakai 2.7.0 and our local version and we find
two different files, messageforums/pom.xml and
messageforums/messageforums-component-impl/src/java/org/sakaiproject/component/app/messageforums/EmailNotificationManagerImpl.java

Since we know the changed EmailNotificationManagerImpl.java for
MSGCNTR-354, we expect the culprit that causes this problem is pom.xml. We
changed pom.xml becaous of build error. Two parts were changed : sakai
search version  and common version

Sakai search:  <version>[1.2.0,1.3.0)</version> à 1.2.5

Sakai common:  <version>[1.0.0,1.1.0)</version> à 1.0.2

I am wondering whether there is any relationship between these version
changes and the rich text editor broken.

I google it, but I cannot find any clue.

Please, enlighten me.

Thank you in advance.

Sanghyun

PS: I attached my diff below.

[root at sakaidev messageforums]# diff pom.xml pom.xml.00

25,26d24

<         <sakai.search.version>1.2.5</sakai.search.version>

<         <sakai.common.version>1.0.2</sakai.common.version>

147c145

<                 <version>${sakai.common.version}</version>

---

>                 <version>[1.0.0,1.1.0)</version>

153c151

<                 <version>${sakai.common.version}</version>

---

>                 <version>[1.0.0,1.1.0)</version>

159c157

<                 <version>${sakai.common.version}</version>

---

>                 <version>[1.0.0,1.1.0)</version>

165c163

<                 <version>${sakai.search.version}</version>

---