[Building Sakai] 2.9.0 DB Conversion, MySQL script error

Sam Ottenhoff ottenhoff at longsight.com
Thu Jan 24 16:19:06 PST 2013

On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 7:06 PM, Steve Swinsburg
<steve.swinsburg at gmail.com>wrote:

> That rule is not written anywhere for Sakai developers to follow, it is
> simply a best practice. Whereas the recommendation to use lower case table
> names on a MySQL setup is. And has been in the install guide since 2007.

We have lots of unwritten rules as a community Steve.  Not breaking default
MySQL Linux installs seems like an easy one.

If you want to pursue turning the recommendation into a rule, go for it.  I
think we have enough install requirements already.

> And the way the 'rule' is written means it applies only to modifications
> to a table, not to the initial creation of the table. Why shouldn't the
> initial table creation be standardised on one case? Why only make people
> that modify a table follow the rule?

Because we're an agglomeration of many tools from many parties.  It would
be great if we had a set of standards to begin with, but we don't.

> Perhaps then it could avoid SQL mayhem like this table, which has every
> combination of case type in its fields:
>
> describe chat2_channel;

The case of the columns is totally irrelevant to both Oracle and MySQL.