[Building Sakai] Custom profile fields

Steve Swinsburg steve.swinsburg at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 14:59:40 PST 2013

Hi Andrei,

Apologies for the late response, I have been away.

To implement this I suggest the following:

1. Refactor Profile persistence via SakaiPerson and SAKAI_PERSON_T to use a new database table, storing data in a format like an RDF triple:
USER_ID, FIELD,VALUE

ie
abc123-123abc, nickname, steve
abc123-123abc, favourite_books, "some book"

You could normalise the 'field' further with an additional table that stores the field names and a number, ie:

FIELD_ID, FIELD_NAME
1, nickname
2, favourite_books

The the first table would be:

abc123-123abc, 1, steve
abc123-123abc, 2, "some book"

2. Implement some sort of way for users to specify what fields are to be shown on the profile page. This could just be sakai.properties

3. Implement a way to group the profile fields into sections like they are currently hardcoded. That could also be sakai.properties

Maybe it could be like this:

profile.fields.group.count=3
profile.fields.group.1=nickname,date_of_birth,other_info
profile.fields.group.2=favourite_books, favourite_movies
profile.fields.group.3=roum_number,building,phone_number,fax_number

4. The field names in the database would then map to a properties file so that the values can be customised on display:
eg

some.properties

profile.field.nickname = Nickname
profile.field. favourite_books = Favourite books

I think thats about it. Will copy that into the Jira.

cheers,
Steve