[Building Sakai] IDE & Adding Custom Features in Sakai

Zaeeem zaeem.ahmad at techlogix.com
Fri Jan 18 05:36:24 PST 2013

Hi all,

I'm quite a bit new to Sakai development, but a lot familiar with Java
Development. I tried to set up Eclipse for Sakai development, but am facing
problems. There are a lot of unresolved dependencies (missing JAR files),
even though I tried including the .m2 Respository in the Build Path, which
make the project un-buildable. P.S. I had run mvn eclipse:eclipse to
download the dependencies.

My second question is that let's say I want to add a custom feature to Sakai
or may be modify the functionality of a certain component already existing.
The problem here is that I can't seem to find, which file (.JAVA) I need to
modify in order to achieve the desired functionality. The code is so
scattered, e.g. take site-manage component, that's been scattered with
different names in the site-manage folder (as site-manage-api,
site-manage-impl etc. etc.). I successfully hooked the debugger to Tomcat
server inside Eclipse (despite Eclipse giving loads of dependency based
errors), but still am unable to know which component to debug to see where
the desired functionality in the code is hidden.

Any help on the above two matters would be more than welcomed!

Thanks & Regards,
Zaeeem