[Building Sakai] Sakai 2.5 passwords not working in sakai 2.9

alaanizar at iihem.ac.ma alaanizar at iihem.ac.ma
Thu Jan 10 07:26:07 PST 2013

Thank you Jim.

I start right away with the conversion on a new server.

I'll
get back to you when I'm done. I will also run the sakai 2.9.0 against the latest obtained
database from those conversions!

Once again, thank you Jim,

regards,

> Hi Alaa,
>
> I'm responding because none of the people who
know what they are talking about have stepped up
> yet.  :-)
>
> I can't
point you at the documentation, but I can point you in the right direction, I think.

> Rather than start with new databases, the usual migration would involve a series of
database
> conversions and then running the new code against the converted database.  The
database conversion
> files are in the reference module in the source distribution of
sakai.  Or they can be found here:

	https://source.sakaiproject.org/svn/reference/trunk/docs/conversion/

> You'll
need to run most of the conversions that has "mysql" in the filename from 2.5.3 to
2.9.0.
> But read the documentation at the beginning of each file before you begin.
You'll notice there's
> a 2.5.3 to 2.5.4 conversion, but then the 2.6.0 conversion file
says it takes you from 2.5.4 to
> 2.6.0.  You may need to work your way through them to
figure out the chain of conversions to get
> to 2.9.0.
>
> Your email
suggested two questions.  I've addressed only one of them.  The other is whether

something special needs to be done to deal with the hashed passwords from 2.5.3.  I can't
answer

wrote:

>> Hello All,
>>
>> We, IIHEM Insitute, are
using Sakai since 2008 with version 2.5.3. We want to upgrade to the
>> latest version,
which is 2.9.0.

>> I installed a new sakai 2.9 instance. I recreated
users and sites. however, when I tried to
>> copy/paste hashed passwords from the old
sakai 2.5.3 to the new one (sakai 2.9), I doesn't work.

>> We're using
MySQL for both installations, I've done the copy/paste between the MySQL databases

with Webmin tool.

>> Here are our server specs:
>>
>> Old one: RHEL 5.4, MySQL 5.0.x, Tomcat-5.5.x, and SAKAI 2.5.3
>> New one:
CentOS 6.3, MySQL 5.1.x, Tomcat-7.0.x and SAKAI 2.9.0

>> Please
HELP!!!

>> If it's really neccessary to upgrade from 2.5.3 to 2.6 to
2.7,.... untill 2.9, I'll do it. BUT
>> PLEASE JUST point me to the right
documentation!

>> Thanks community.