[Building Sakai] Does anyone have good DB-Diagrams for Sakai 2.x?

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Wed Jan 9 07:40:00 PST 2013

I'd agree the foreign keys within a tool (like Samigo, Gradebook) are
probably good, but there's no links across tools. For instance nothing that
relates User or Site (context) to Gradebook, Assessment, Assignment, Forum,
etc. in the database as an explicit foreign key. This seems like it could
make figuring out relationships difficult, but it also has the side benefit
of not forcing data to need to be removed when the parent is removed. For
instance in Sakai if a user or site is deleted, the content they created
isn't deleted, they can just be re-added and it will all show up again.

It's possible that someone may want to delete a site and have it cascade
delete everything related to that site, but this just isn't possible with
how Sakai is designed. I guess that's a that's a possible negative side
effect of not knowing how some of these high level things link together,
easy recovery, but nothing is cleaned up. If this was desired, this work
would be up to a developer, and would likely be a lot of work.

In addition, some older tools store their metadata as 'Nosql-style' XML
blobs, so there was no way to do foreign key relationships anyway.