[Building Sakai] james and checkResolvableHelo

Sobieralski, Damian Michael dsobiera at indiana.edu
Wed Feb 27 13:38:18 PST 2013

Does anyone know if this is configurable?  And if so, how? What I am trying to prevent is bob at madeupdomain.ugh<mailto:bob at madeupdomain.ugh>. Our security scan people said that we needed to lock the helo down to a verifiable domain.

http://xforce.iss.net/xforce/xfdb/1921

I might be doing this is a silly way. So feel free to correct me on my ignorance. But what I am doing is unzipping:

$SAKAI_HOME/mailarchive/james/src/webapp/apps/james.sar

I then am editing the extracted file:

conf/james-smtphandlerchain.xml

uncommmenting and setting this to true:

<handler command="HELO" class="org.apache.james.smtpserver.HeloCmdHandler">
       <!-- If is set to true helo is only accepted if it can be resolved -->
       <!-- WARNING: This check will reject on invalid HELO even if the user is authenticated-->
       <checkResolvableHelo> true </checkResolvableHelo>

I then zip up the contents to make a new james.sar and place it where the old one was

$SAKAI_HOME/mailarchive/james/src/webapp/apps/james.sar

I compile, deploy and start tomcat up. But helo still allows me to stick in bob at madeupdomain.ugh<mailto:bob at madeupdomain.ugh>

Does anyone have any ideas?  I tried this in both sakai 2.7.1 and 2.9.0.

- Damian