[Building Sakai] Tomcat standalone, GZIP performance

Poindexter, David Ray davpoind at iupui.edu
Tue Feb 26 19:56:28 PST 2013

I know how to turn it on in Tomcat 7. I'm wondering about performance
impacts it may have, and others' experiences.

There are quite a few variables, too. Such as the min file size and
enabling reasonable expires headers, that could make differences.

Google isn't coming up with many results specific to institutions doing
this, so I'm faced with two possibilities that are interesting: 1) Nobody
has done it yet, or 2) Everyone has tried it, it's a crappy idea, and I'm
the next in a line of newbies trying to get some good low-hanging fruit :)
--

David Poindexter

Systems Analyst

Enterprise Student Systems