[Building Sakai] Sakai quickstart with vagrant and puppet

Noah Botimer botimer at umich.edu
Sat Feb 23 16:11:39 PST 2013

I think it is a very good idea for us to upgrade our DB pool. As far as I can tell, there is no reason we should be binding to DBCP (extending some of their classes) like we are anymore.

The DataSource interface is good at hiding this kind of thing (what/where/how you get a connection). The Tomcat pool, newer DBCP, and a few others are all reasonable choices. We should pick a nice, modern default, clean up our config pattern, and let people swap out easily if interested.

Zach, this is not to say you shouldn't do some clean/purge business to make a system install work more easily in the meantime. I just think we are way overdue on updating our most basic infrastructure (and the integrated version of DBCP has some pretty bad gotchas and a few performance issues).

Thanks,
-Noah