[Building Sakai] Any Ubuntu packages, EC2 images or other easier ways to get a CLE install up and running on Linux?

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Thu Feb 21 08:31:43 PST 2013

Yea, you don't even want to use most of the packages really anyway.

Basically just java (openjdk7-jdk), subversion and mysql-server.

For maven2, the Ubuntu bundle includes 75 packages totalling 60 megabytes
as it downloades every module. This is kind of overboard and usually I'll
also just download the small package and setup my path to point to it.

You can get Sakai to run with the Tomcat7 package if you put the Sakai
files somewhere (CATALINA_BASE) and refer to the Tomcat (CATALINA_HOME) as
environment variables, but it's usually easier just to download Tomcat and
dump everything into there.