[Building Sakai] NeoChat for production use?

Adrian Fish adrian.r.fish at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 04:20:01 PST 2013

How many concurrent users? Each logged in user on a neochat enabled Sakai
will be polling every 5 seconds. The requests don't take long, but still.
If you expect 500 concurrent users you should probably cluster with 250 on
each of two app nodes. I don't see any problem with those load levels.

The only way to decrease the hit on the tomcats would be to start using
websockets so the polling can be dropped. I don't think enough people are
using websocket enabled browers yet for that to be feasible. You could
increase the poll interval but this reduces the immediacy of the chat
experience, thus defeating the object really.

Adrian.