[Building Sakai] Data Archiving?

Geng, Kelly gengx at miamioh.edu
Thu Feb 14 19:38:28 PST 2013

Sorry I didn't make it clear: I was talking about backing up file system.We
are already using  the bodyPath property in sakai.properties to store away
binary data on the file system. We are also using Tivoli to do incremental
backup. The issue I found out later with us is that we are not using
volumes and thus all data are being backed up daily, instead of the
rotation backup like some universities do. I guess UMich is also doing the
rotation backup where you only back up more current volumes more frequently
while leaving the relatively "old" volumes backed up less frequently? I'll
talk to our sys admin and try this strategy. Thanks!

Kelly

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 10:17 PM, Matthew Jones <matthew at longsight.com>wrote:

> As long as you're under 24 hours you're good right?! :)
>
> If your files are on the filesystem as Chuck suggested, I'd probably just
> change my backup strategy to only backup files modified since the last
> backup ran. At Michigan, we had/have Tivoli Storage Manager available which
> backed up about 1GB of changed files (out of about a 100GB partition) in
> about 5 minutes. Some setup with rsync would probably do the same thing.
> What are your admins using now?
>
> Generally any effort to clean up files in the past (removing old sites,
> finding the biggest files) only gained around 20-25% disk space, so really
> wasn't worth the time since it was filled up so fast again.
>

> On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 10:06 PM, Charles Severance <csev at umich.edu>wrote:
>
>> Kelly - this is kind of a basic and obvious question - have you moved
>> your blobs out of your database and onto a file system?   If not, you
>> should.
>>
>> /Chuck
>>
>> On Feb 13, 2013, at 5:27 PM, Geng, Kelly wrote:
>>
>> Hi Dev-list,
>>
>> I wonder whether schools which have been running Sakai for a few years
>> have started to archive away course data, especially data on the hard disk?
>> Our System Admins have started to complain about it taking 14 hours for a
>> daily backup to finish. We've run Sakai just over 2 years and have 2.5 T
>> data on the disk. Any ideas or practice to recommend?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> --
>> Kelly

Kelly