[Building Sakai] Is Respondus LockDown the only answer?

Paul Dagnall pdagnall1 at udayton.edu
Fri Feb 8 10:55:00 PST 2013

We're looking for any information others can share about their
experiences/attempts to limit print/copy/navigation activity while
completing Samigo assessments.  We are currently upgrading to 2.9 and would
like to add this functionality to our environment.  Students currently have
the ability to copy text, print screens, etc while taking assessments which
isn't desirable in many situations.

We've briefly looked in to Respondus LockDown browser but it appears to
carry some serious overhead for the student.  Students need to
download/install the LockDown browser on their computer and use a specific
browser to take the exam.  We're after something a little more seamless and
invisible to the student.  I understand that it will be impossible to close
every hole  but we'd like to make it a more difficult to cheat.

I would be interested to hear what other Sakai schools are doing in this
area.

   - Are there other approaches I'm not aware of?
   - Are there other companies that provide a similar product to Respondus
   LockDown browser?
   - Are my concerns about the negative student impacts of LockDown browser
   unfounded?

Thanks very much in advance for any light you can shed on this.

Paul Dagnall
Application Developer & Administrator
University of Dayton