[Building Sakai] Question About Realm Caching

Sam Ottenhoff ottenhoff at longsight.com
Wed Dec 18 11:21:32 PST 2013

> org.sakaiproject.authz.impl.DbAuthzGroupService.realmRoleGroupCache:
> count:5000 hits:1657342 misses:150730 hit%:91
>
> org.sakaiproject.db.BaseDbFlatStorage.SAKAI_REALM_PROPERTY: count:10000
> hits:1416478 misses:385363 hit%:78

These both look like maxed-out caches.  If they are overflowing to disk,
your performance will be even worse than that of a normal maxed-out cache.
 If you have available RAM in the Java heap, raise these cache sizes.  Look
for any other caches with a round number like 5000 or 10000 or 100000 and
raise those too if you have RAM available.  Increase the timeToLive on the
caches to increase the benefit of the caches.

> I just noticed that overflowToDisk is true on the last item.  We have been
> changing that setting to false most everywhere and I wonder if we should do
> that here?

Absolutely,  overflowToDisk is harmful and should be turned off everywhere.

--Sam