[Building Sakai] sakai smtp server config for sending non-user mails with subdomains

Michael Mertins mertins at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Fri Dec 13 17:41:44 PST 2013

Hi,

how can I configure the smtp-Server of my Sakai 2.9.2 to send mails to
not-yet-users with subdomains?

In my tool I use the API to write mails automatically and to those that
have a mail like mine (mertins at zedat.fu-berlin.de),
emailService.sendMail() gives error:

Caused by: com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPAddressFailedException: 501
<"mertins at zedat.fu-berlin.de">: recipient address must contain a domain

When I use emailService.sendToUsers() it works, so there must be something
wrong in the configuration.

This probably has been asked before but I can't find the right search
expression and have looked for this error already but only get java mail
explainations in Google...

In my sakai.properties I have
smtp.dns.1=...
smtp.dns.2=...