[Building Sakai] [sakai-pmc] PROPOSAL: svn cleanup

Mustansar Mehmood mm3 at rice.edu
Mon Dec 9 12:38:19 PST 2013

Making a major jump to versioning scheme should allow Sakai project to
go ahead with major changes that have been pending over the time for one
reason or the other.
 While I do not condone loss of commit information I think it is a good
idea to move things around if it helps the future
development/maintenance and deployment.
Sharing a clear sense of the direction is useful to everyone through
email/confluence communication as well as svn management/organization.
if possible creating an easy to see set of obselete/deprecated and near
deprecation/extinction  modules is a neat idea. And making them optional
to "build" will help as well.
I hope the instability in the code base will be temporary and with long
reaching effects in areas even including helping new developers learn
how to maintain/augment Sakai.

./mustansar

On 12/09/2013 11:14 AM, Seth Theriault wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 10:27 AM, Matthew Jones <matthew at longsight.com> wrote:
>> Rather than move them to contrib, which would lose the history unless we/you
>> use svnadmin to dump and reload into contrib (which you may or may not be
>> considering), perhaps keeping them in that repo and moving them all into
>> /svn/deprecated or /svn/msub/deprecated would be a better/easier idea.
> I don't see any real reasons to specifically move these projects to
> contrib. It just creates more work and ways to break things.
>
> Seth

Mustansar Mehmood
Educational System Developer& Integrator

Information Technology
6100 Main St. MS 119
Houston Texas 77005

Phone:(713)348-2523
Fax  :(713)348 6099
email:mustansar at rice.edu

I have yet to see any problem, however complicated, which, when,you  looked at it in the right way, did not become still more complicated.
    -- Poul Anderson