[Building Sakai] Tomcats spontaneously unloading webapps?

Joshua Swink joshua.swink at gmail.com
Mon Aug 26 16:59:12 PDT 2013

Has anyone seen this problem where Tomcat spontaneously unloads a bunch of
webapps?

We're using Sakai 2.9.2. Sometimes a Tomcat will unload a large number of
webapps for no apparent reason. They are always unloaded in the same order.
When this happens, the application kind of runs but complains about lots of
missing resources, and it's unusable.

At first, the first context unloaded was /x. So I disabled and removed the
url shortener, suspecting it was the problem. But it keeps happening except
that the first context unloaded is now /profile-tool.

I can't see anything in the log that hints at a cause. It starts with a
"deleteRedeployResources" message.

2013-08-26 16:14:57,015 INFO http-apr-8080-exec-23
org.sakaiproject.profile2.logic.ProfilePreferencesLogicImpl - Created
default preferences record for user: e31c8093-049f-4d34-a7
8f-8b4b1abec8ef
Aug 26, 2013 4:20:09 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig
deleteRedeployResources
INFO: Undeploying context [/profile-tool]
2013-08-26 16:20:09,621 INFO
ContainerBackgroundProcessor[StandardEngine[Catalina]]
org.sakaiproject.jsf.util.JsfTool - destroy
2013-08-26 16:20:09,625 INFO
ContainerBackgroundProcessor[StandardEngine[Catalina]]
org.sakaiproject.util.ContextLoaderListener - Destroying Components in
sakai-profile
Aug 26, 2013 4:20:10 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig
deleteRedeployResources
INFO: Undeploying context [/web]
[...]

Josh