[Building Sakai] Hibernate DocType DTD files and slow Sakai startups

Raymond Naseef raymond.naseef at gmail.com
Mon Aug 19 15:40:47 PDT 2013

We were using JBoss 4.0.3sp1, and we had (probably still have) many
applications using Hibernate 3 that worked fine with Hibernate on JBoss.
 We ran into that problem with one application in early 2012, and I found
that one of the tricks that was tried was changing DOCTYPE entry to:

<!DOCTYPE hibernate-mapping PUBLIC
    "-//Hibernate/Hibernate Mapping DTD 3.0//EN"
    "http://www.hibernate.sourceforge.net/hibernate-mapping-3.0.dtd">

I don't think that change worked at all, and we ended up copying DTD to our
domain, something like:

<!DOCTYPE hibernate-mapping PUBLIC
    "-//Hibernate/Hibernate Mapping DTD 3.0//EN"
    "http://www.our.domain/hibernate/hibernate-mapping-3.0.dtd">

I think the issue was related to the setting not starting with "www" was
not working right:

<!DOCTYPE hibernate-mapping PUBLIC
    "-//Hibernate/Hibernate Mapping DTD 3.0//EN"
    "http://hibernate.sourceforge.net/hibernate-mapping-3.0.dtd">

By the way, JBoss runs on top of Catalina.  In fact, it deploys Tomcat (at
least used to) as a SAR.

If you let me know what version of JBoss you are using, I may be able to
test with copy of Sakai I have on my computer.  Does it take a lot of work
to configure JBoss to handle the Sakai properties and libraries?

-Ray