[Building Sakai] Permission to see official photos in Roster2

Daniel Merino daniel.merino at unavarra.es
Mon Aug 5 04:32:52 PDT 2013

Hi, Qu.

I have applied your patch over our 2.9.2 and as you said, official
images can be viewed now by teachers when viewofficialphotos is configured.

However, I think that this patch lacks of some additional change over
Roster tool, as it doesn't work as I expected:

     - If user has not viewofficialphotos permission, user can see
profile uploaded pictures of other users.
     - But if user has viewofficialphotos permission, user sees always
official photos, no matter what radio button (profile or official
photos) has been chosen.

I think that the key could be in
roster/roster-app/src/webapp/roster/pictures.jsp . Please, could you
tell me if you changed also Roster to make this work?

Many thanks.
Best regards.

El 02/08/2013 18:03, Qu, Yuanhua escribió:
> Hi Daniel
>
> We, Texas State University, also use profile2 tool and roster tool to show
> official photos in roster tool with official photos loaded from URL.
>
> It has been working for our sakai 282 and also 292 instance.  Here is the
> patch I put in the JIRA you might want to look and apply to profile2 to
> support this feature in old roster tool.
>
> https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/PRFL-789
>

> Hope it works for you.  Good luck.
>
> -Qu
>

> On 8/2/13 7:26 AM, "Daniel Merino" <daniel.merino at unavarra.es> wrote:
>
>> Hi everybody.
>>
>> As it seems that Roster tool does not support official photos from
>> Profile2 API and is not in its agenda neither, we have tested Roster 2
>> tool to use official photos as it was implemented in RTSR-46 (1).
>> Finally we use the URL approach and storing URLs in
>> PROFILE_IMAGES_OFFICIAL_T works fine.
>>
>> However, we have discovered that Roster2 does not support old
>> roster.viewofficialphotos permission, so it is not possible AFAIK to
>> allow seeing official photos only to Teacher role. As as consequence,
>> any user could add other users to their site and could see their
>> official photos. We think that this is a big privacy issue.
>>
>> I have documented this in RSTR-58 (2) but we are in a hurry because we
>> are going to 2.9 next week and I wonder if somebody has done this
>> anywhere and could share their work with us.
>>
>> Also, if somebody is using Roster tool with official photos loaded from
>> URL and there is a patch somewhere, using Roster could be also a valid
>> option for us.
>>
>> I would be really grateful if somebody could help me with this.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>> Best regards.
>>
>> (1) https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/RSTR-46
>> (2) https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/RSTR-58
>> --
>> Daniel Merino Echeverría
>> daniel.merino at unavarra.es
>> Gestor de teleformación - Centro Superior de Innovación Educativa.
>> Tfno: 948-168489 - Universidad Pública de Navarra.

Daniel Merino Echeverría
daniel.merino at unavarra.es
Gestor de teleformación - Centro Superior de Innovación Educativa.
La legalización de la marihuana hubiera evitado muchas desgracias. Por
ejemplo, después de fumarse un porro a quién le quedan ganas de invadir
Polonia? (Darío Adanti)