[Building Sakai] interactions between 2 import and 2 export functions within calendar?

Matthew Buckett matthew.buckett at it.ox.ac.uk
Thu Aug 1 06:32:45 PDT 2013

On 24 July 2013 22:24, Keli Sato Amann <kamann at stanford.edu> wrote:

> 2) Do you have an update limit set at WebLearn for Oxford and if so, what is it? If not, has overload of your servers been a problem? I guess if you set this a limit in your feed, then you can allow Outlook users to get more up to date calendar feeds, just not too often. I guess some content providers cancel your subscription if you refresh too often so they set a limit. (see outlook screenshots in http://mcb.berkeley.edu/academic-programs/seminars/ical-feed-instructions/) I'm not sure how iCal deals with this, as you can set your subscription to refresh every 5 minutes--maybe it allows it but the publisher has the right to cancel your subscription (not even sure if that would be possible in CourseWork). Or maybe sakai just ignores more frequent requests?

We don't have an update limit set on requests to calendars. Al the
moment the usage of this feature is moderately low so wouldn't be
likely to see any performance problems as a result.

> If the latter, we may position this feature as Beta feature and say that users will not be allowed to update more often than every hour. If the former, I guess we are taking something of a risk that we will get overrun, which we can try to counteract by giving explicit instructions not to update more than once an hour. We might reduce that recommendation to 5 minutes once we see that we can handle the load.

One reasonably simple solution might be to have a reverse proxy
in-front of all the calendar subscription URLs and cache all requests
for an hour, that way even if the client makes multiple requests an
hour they get back the same one.

--
  Matthew Buckett, VLE Developer, IT Services, University of Oxford