[Building Sakai] sprited portal

David Adams da1 at vt.edu
Sun Apr 14 05:40:41 PDT 2013

A couple of responses to this. I see no reason that both the sprite and
individual images couldn't both remain in place, in which case there's zero
impact on existing custom skins.

As to the question about download speeds, the main benefit of this
technique is *not* about the bytes being downloaded, but instead the
overhead of the HTTP connections and requests themselves. At the scale of
these sprites, the bytes are pretty meaningless, but the difference between
25 total HTTP requests upon a user's first visit and 50 total HTTP requests
is a huge one to load balancer and server admins when operating at the
margins of performance, as most big Sakai deployments do.

All that said, there are issues with the technique, and those have to
balanced out by the performance issues. I think a sprited skin is worth
inclusion, even if it's not the default.

But as it is, Sakai relies on far too many separate static files. Loading
just the home page requires 30+ requests, mostly js and css. Add that to
growing use of Ajax requests, and as a sysadmin, I strongly applaud any
effort to cut down on the HTTP overhead.

David Adams
Director, Systems Integration and Support
Virginia Tech Learning Technologies