[Building Sakai] 2.9.x Browsers Supported, curious

Poindexter, David Ray davpoind at iupui.edu
Thu Apr 11 16:41:08 PDT 2013

As I suspected, Current and n-1 is standard here with Sakai (as with most other apps).

Now here's the next question… given that IE9 is supported, and it does NOT natively (without html5 shiv) support the most popular HTML5 (pronounced HOOCH-MALL-FIVE, I'm kidding) elements, what is our plan going forward?

We have a few options, but I think this discussion has merit:

  1.  Ignore trends, stay with, GASP, XHTML transitional (it is 2013, last I checked), and just make stuff work for as long as we can hold on…, or
  2.  Go crazy and say "HTML5 ALL THE THINGS", which, I know my leadership would freak out, or
  3.  Gradually start introducing more semantic markup into existing tools, and setting some kind of standards for new tools.

I like option 3 the best, obviously. But I'm just a guy. And not really a very smart or skilled guy. So, can any tool authors, functional testers, or management types chime in on the two issues of:

  1.  Can we do this? And,
  2.  2.9.x was just released, and the goal is moving forward… how can we justify our legacy code?

Cheers,
--
David Poindexter
Systems Analyst