[Building Sakai] Forum slowness in a site with many users

Daniel Merino daniel.merino at unavarra.es
Fri Sep 21 04:34:19 PDT 2012

Hi everybody.

I have read in past emails that there are several tools that are not
recommended to be used in sites with many users. As far as I know, there
is a guide of them here:
https://weblearn.ox.ac.uk/access/content/group/info/guidance/adminfaq.html#configsites

I can see that, since performance patches were applied to Msgcntr 2.7.2,
Forums is not one of these tools, so it should be ok in a big site. We
are currently using Msgcntr 2.7.2 (rev. 88064) on Sakai 2.7.1.

We have in our platform a site with 18000+ students and Forums behaves
ok when they are browsing the messages, but when they delete or answer a
message, browser freezes loading and it can spend several minutes until
it returns (if it does).

I would like to know if this issue is normal or if there is some
solution that I can try (patches, indexes...)

I can provide more info if you need it.

Thanks in advance.
Best regards.
--
Daniel Merino Echeverría
daniel.merino at unavarra.es
Gestor de teleformación - Centro Superior de Innovación Educativa.