[Building Sakai] T&Q reaction times?

David Minugh David.Minugh at English.su.se
Thu Sep 20 02:10:06 PDT 2012

I am experiencing incredibly slow reaction times for the T&Q function, and am wondering whether this is a local configuration problem or just the glacial speed of T&Q:

As a normal site administrator (not a Sakai administrator), I have created a 160-item test drawing on 24 different question data bases of about 200 items each. The test has actually been administered to our students, and it's time for a retake. I clone the test, and change the settings (name, release date, etc.), then click on "Publish". After about 5 minutes, the intermediate warning screen appears (confirm publication? Etc). I click on "Publish", and 10 minutes later Firefox has timed out my request. I restart the process by requesting to publish the test, and am now told that I cannot have two tests with the same name, which suggests that somewhere in the bowels of the program, the original request is still being processed.

   I have been able to clone the test and alter the settings before, so it's not impossible, but with a 400-student population, all these sorts of T&Q requests are consistently processed in the 5-10 min range, including displaying statistics and actual results. Much smaller tests (10-item range, but with a 200-300 student population) go considerably faster, which suggests to me that a request to e.g. change a setting parameter somehow requires processing of the whole test, rather than just the parameter, which shouldn't take more than a fraction of a second.

   Do these reaction times sound familiar to developers who've worked on T&Q? Right now, I've again requested the test to be published, and am up to 5 minutes' waiting time and counting. Needless to say, this is not encouraging for use of T&Q, which otherwise works well. For my money, T&Q is several years behind the rest of SAKAI in user-friendliness and performance.

   7 minutes and counting...

David C. Minugh                                                                  E-mail: David.Minugh at english.su.se
Director of Studies                                                               Tel: (+46) 8 16 36 11
English Department                                                                    Cell phone: (+46) 70 - 23 14 777
Stockholm University                                                            Office: E 877, Frescati