[Building Sakai] Setting a resource's permissions

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Wed Sep 5 08:18:24 PDT 2012

I believe what the code would have to do is switch the user to a user the
does have access, push through a security advisor, access the content, then
pop it off. This requires more work and opens up the possibility of a
security issue but it's what other tools do to get around similar issues.
It's either this or obscurity I guess. There's no way for the *system* to
have access that the user context doesn't.

As far as your other point, all it does is generates PDF's with the forms
filled out. I can't see any way the student couldn't just save the PDF to
their desktop and share the certificate if they did feel like doing that.
Or even taking a screen shot if somehow the certificates weren't savable
and recreating the certificate. Anything that can be seen can be
reproduced, and digital objects more easily than others. You'd have to
apply some type of digital certificate but that would only apply to the
actual digital document.

That's why something like the Mozilla badges will probably have more
"value" than a certificate like this because it's something that can be
verified against multiple sources of achievement similar to how a degree
can be verified by contacting the university. The paper alone isn't proof
of anything. ;)