[Building Sakai] A Sensitive Subject

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Mon Oct 15 16:22:54 PDT 2012

I agree with Steve, you're taking a risk, with contrib tools especially.
Perhaps this just needs a bigger asterisk somewhere. Though as far as
contrib, there aren't even any guarantees that specific contrib tools even
work in both Oracle or Mysql (depending on what the original developer
developed and tested against). But I think that's a different issue
all-together.

While there might not be anything written, there are different 'unwritten'
requirements for commits made again Sakai core, often for Contributed
Patches and features.
Kernel changes
- verses -
core service/api changes
- verses -
tools "everyone uses" changes
- verses -
tools only admins use

Like for instance STAT-299 contributed MySQL only changes to the Site Stats
which will be included in 2.9. It's not Steve's fault that nobody decided
to contribute the compatible statements for Oracle but this seems like a
bigger *requirement* (if we had one written) that no database changes are
allowed against a core tool unless they are compatible with both Oracle and
MySQL (HSQLDB also but that's a separate matter that I'm less supportive of
since it's not always possible and HSQLDB is outdated)

If this was against kernel, it wouldn't have been allowed, or even against
a core service, but since it's something optional that you have to turn on
that doesn't break OOTB, it's something we can live with and hope somebody
who is directly impacted feels like fixing. :)