[Building Sakai] Sections

JOSE MARIANO LUJAN GONZALEZ jmariano at um.es
Thu Oct 11 03:24:57 PDT 2012

Hi Nguni,
Are you using the tool Section Info? If you do, you should have in mind
that Sections are designed to work with categories.

In your case, if a Teacher creates a two sections (SECTION A and SECTION
B - both from the same category i.e. 'lab') then a student will only be
able to join one of those two sections.

 From the Official Sakai Guide Book: "Unlike groups, a student can
belong to only one section of a given type at a time. For example, it
does not make sense for a student to be in tow labs in the same course."
So your error might come from there and that is why the concept of
"category" was introduced.

or

We also had some problems at the beginning when customizing our own
roles and permissions. You should check your realms in that site and
check for the "section.role.instructor, section.role.ta and
section.role.student" permissions to check if they have been configured
properly.  I recomend you to take a deeper look into this confluence
page:
https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/SECT/Authorization+and+Section+Awareness+rules+in+Sakai+2.1

    *The SectionAwareness API uses the following rules when determining
    the membership lists of sites and sections
    *

Hope that helps!
mariano

El 11/10/2012 11:38, Nguni Phakela escribió:
> Hi All,
>
> We have a scenario: When creating a course, students are automatically
> added to rosters based on university slots/sections.
>
> Now, a Lecturer wants to create sections for different groups for
> tutorial sections.
>
> So they go to options and click on the options for manually managing
> sections and students being able to select which tutorial
> section they want to be a part of.
>
> They are able to create these sections: However, when a student click
> on the link Join, they get this error:
>
> You are already a member of a section in this category.
>
> Would anyone know the cause of this and how to resolve it.
>
> Cheers
>
> --
> Nguni Phakela

José Mariano Luján González - Aula Virtual
Area de Tecnologías de la Información
y las Comunicaciones Aplicadas (ATICA)
UNIVERSIDAD DE MURCIA - http://www.um.es