[Building Sakai] Installing 2.9.0

Mark J. Norton markjnorton at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 30 08:15:28 PST 2012

I got a database table create error on installing 2.9.0:

2012-11-30 08:09:32,172  WARN pool-2-thread-1
org.sakaiproject.springframework.orm.hibernate.AddableSessionFactoryBean
- Unsuccessful schema statement:

create table EMAIL_TEMPLATE_ITEM (ID bigint not null auto_increment,
LAST_MODIFIED datetime not null, OWNER varchar(255) not null, SUBJECT
longtext not null, emailfrom varchar(255), MESSAGE longtext not null,
HTMLMESSAGE longtext, TEMPLATE_KEY varchar(255) not null,
TEMPLATE_LOCALE varchar(255), defaultType varchar(255), VERSION integer,
primary key (ID), unique (TEMPLATE_KEY, TEMPLATE_LOCALE))

com.mysql.jdbc.exceptions.MySQLSyntaxErrorException: Specified key was
too long; max key length is 1000 bytes

This seems odd to me, since a bigint isn't 1000 bytes long (to my
knowledge).  Could this be an incorrect MySQL setting somewhere?

- Mark Norton