[Building Sakai] How to checkout the 2.9.0 tag source including all tagged indie source?

Steve Swinsburg steve.swinsburg at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 12:32:05 PST 2012

The 2.9.0-all pom took me about half an hour to pull together, using the
2.9.x-all tag which listed all indies, and the 2.9.0 tag which listed the
stable versions so I could get the tag locations. Now its done, it can just
be copied and the tag locations updated and it's done.

If people are going to find the -all tag to be useful, then it should just
be part of the release process.

We need to have a discussion around the value of the indies. For projects
that are actively being developed, then they make a lot of sense. For
smaller institutions that do not modify them, they make deployments and
upgrades very easy. For core projects that you cannot run without, or those
that just receive maintenance, then there is little value in them at all.

The 2.9.x-all branch's .externals has a good separation of this already,
which is what I am talking about. The first section lists the true indie
tools. These are very simple to pull out if you want or upgrade by simply
changing a version in master.

basiclti
jobscheduler
lessonbuilder
mailsender
msgcntr
polls
profile
profile2
reset-pass
samigo
search
shortenedurl
sitestats

Then there are these which IMVHO do not need to be indies and should
be reverted back to being in the full source checkout.

announcement
assignment
calendar
courier