[Building Sakai] Windows 8 Compatability & Load Balancing

Kevin Pittman kevin.pittman at oit.gatech.edu
Wed Nov 14 14:48:33 PST 2012

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 03:30:37PM -0500, Kevin Pittman wrote:
> With Windows 8, however, there doesn't seem to be any way to get either
> browser to work.  Both exhibit symptoms that we've seen before when
> cookies are disabled, except that I've verified on both browsers that
> cookies are fully enabled.  Those symptoms are that the user tries to

Just to close this out, I actually found the problem with a little help
from our BIG-IP expert.  It turns out that our BIG-IP boxes do something
non-standard in generating a session cookie with an expiration date, so
we switched them to generate a standard session cookie that expires when
the browser session ends, and all of the Windows 8 browsers are happy now.

I'm still not sure why IE, Chrome, and Opera on Windows 8 react so badly
to the malformed cookie, while on other Windows O/Ss they usually worked
okay, and Chrome & Opera never had any trouble with the cookie on Macs.
Whatever the case, at least I know the source of the problem now.

Thanks,
Kevin
Georgia Tech Sakai Application Administrator

P.S. It would still be interesting to hear what other schools are using
for load balancing.

Kevin Pittman                              kevin.pittman at oit.gatech.edu