[Building Sakai] Problems with Assignment 2 Permissions

David Adams da1 at vt.edu
Fri Nov 9 17:29:47 PST 2012

Hi William,
I haven't worked with Assignments 2, but this sounds a lot like an issue that I discovered six years ago that, as far as I know, hasn't been addressed:

If it's not this problem exactly, it definitely seems related. Curious for your thoughts or those of anyone else.

-dave

William Karavites wrote:
> We recently had a problem with our Student permissions for assignment2. We thought we had it fixed when we realized that something else was causing the problem. It turns out that when an instructor goes into the permissions tab for Assignments 2 and makes any changes or no changes at all and hits the save button the permissions for the Student role get set to none for submitting and reading.
>
> This ultimately means that an instructor will create an assignment, students will see and submit to the assignment, but after an instructor goes into permissions (as stated above), the In/New count for all assignments changes to 0/0. From the instructor's view, it looks like all submissions were lost. From the student's view they still may submit according to the assignment's settings. The current fix has been going into realms for the particular site, and turning back on two permissions (asnn2.submit and asnn2.assignment.read)
>
> It seems that there are a number of places this problem could be originating from:
>

>  1.  Something wrong with the integration with realms
>  2.  site.helper
>  3.  or maybe the tool itself
>
> If anyone has any insight on this problem, it would be greatly appreciated.
>
> -William Karavites

David Adams
Director, Learning Systems Integration and Support
Virginia Tech Learning Technologies