[Building Sakai] Resources read permission & uploading attachments

Adam Marshall adam.marshall at it.ox.ac.uk
Fri Nov 9 08:37:10 PST 2012

We're had a bit of trouble here recently with the Forums tool. This is what happened

      1/ Site owner wanted to close off access to the Resources tool to students so they removed the "Read Resources" permission from students

      2/ Students then tried to upload an attachment in the Forums tool, they see an error page.

Now since we all have insider knowledge that attachments are stored in Resources in a sort of non-visible folder so we all know why the students saw an error. The site owner was totally mystified with good reason.

Indeed, why should removing read access to files in resources stop students being able to upload (and view) attachments?

Wouldn't it be better to have 3 more permissions in Resource:

   attachments.read
   attachments.new
   attachments.edit

these should control attachments NOT the 'content.*' permissions.

Goo? Bad? Or ugly?

Adam

--
Dr A C Marshall, WebLearn Service Manager, IT Services, University of Oxford.