[Building Sakai] problems building trunk -- sakai-full

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Mon May 21 12:37:17 PDT 2012

Hi Jim,

This is an error we are going to talk about at the release meeting this
week that also has come up for some other of us.

Basically the quick fix solution is to either build with Maven 2 or to
build kernel then master first separately. (If you want to use Maven 3) The
build fails right now if kernel and master aren't in the local repository
(you start with a clean repo)

Like
cd kernel && mvn clean install
cd ../master && mvn clean install

(Then you're good to go)

The problem is that in Maven 3, it does dependency resolution on the
parents, and the parents either have to have a relativePath defined or they
have to be in a repository. Since we removed all of the repositories
sections (as well as removed the snapshot artifacts) they won't be in
repositories. Adding in relativePath would cause the indies to break.

What I think will happen (medium term) is kernel/master will need to go
back into the snapshot repo, and a repositories section will be added. Long
term, api version will split from impl and all apis will will actually be
released to maven central so we don't need a repositories section again.

However this is some "brand new" research, and might not even be needed