[Building Sakai] Adding method to Site Service not seen in other web-apps

Me bitultorah at yahoo.com
Tue May 8 12:10:31 PDT 2012

Good afternoon,

I have been requested at work to modify some code that would allow a TA the ability to change the description, (as well as other roles to change various items of a site).  Although I was able to add it my code, they both used Kernel's SiteService's save() or saveSiteInfo()'s methods.  In these methods there is a lock on the permissions to not allow a TA (or by save() other groups) to modify, and I received a lock error in my logs.  I noticed that my web-app code, web's IframeAction, that it uses the SiteService's cover.  I went into the SiteService api class and added a similar method (ie save2() and saveSiteInfo2()) and then added those methods into the SiteService cover class.  I also added the methods to the BaseSiteService class which implements the SiteService class.  In this implementation I removed the lock.
I compiled the Kernel webapp (and the Kernel-deploy webapp) and they compiled correctly.  However, when I tried using these new methods in the web app and ran "mvn install" I received an error that it could not find my new class. If I modify a method it picks it up, but not if I add one.
I have even gone into the .m2 maven repository and deleted kernel and kernel-deploy and went again ran mvn install, and received the same error (on web).

Am I missing something, or is there another step that I need to take?

Thank you for your time and expertise,
Shlomo