[Building Sakai] question

Mark J. Norton markjnorton at earthlink.net
Tue May 8 04:51:47 PDT 2012

 >  Can you describe what exactly is a course in Sakai?

A "course" is a kind of "site" in Sakai.  Sites are a collection of
people and tool instances.  That said, you need to be bit careful about
the terminology.  Better to say that a Sakai site is being used to
represent a university course.  Exactly what a course is varies among
the institutions that use Sakai.  Variously, sites are used to represent
a course, a section, a cohort, etc.  There is also support to set up a
hierarchical relationship (to some degree).

 >  for example, if I'm in my third year of college in engineering, and
taking physics and math classes, does the course stand for physics and
math courses?

This is an example of why you need to be careful.  Is a class the same
as a course?  If you have have multiple classes (or sections) of
"Calculus I", you might have a single Sakai site for it, or separate
sites for each class/section.  They might have different instructors,
for example, and thus require separate Sakai sites.

 >  they are math and physics lessons?

Usually not.  Lessons are delivered by a Sakai tool, such as the
Assignment Tool, Melete, or LessonBuilder.  This is done in the context
of a Sakai course site.

 >  Also can 2 courses have one exam at the same time?

Yes.  Typically, each course would have it's own site and the exam would
be set up in each of them.  The exam can be the same, different, or
almost the same - depending on how you set up the exam.

Sakai also has a service called Course Management that lets you further
define these sorts of things.  Have a look at
https://confluence.sakaiproject.org/display/CM/Course+Management+API to
see a diagram of the different kinds of objects related to courses.
This API allows course management to be handled and defined outside of
Sakai.  It is something of an advanced feature and can be complicated to
set up, however.

Hope this helps,
Mark Norton