[Building Sakai] Possible regression in string handling in properties files

Seth Theriault slt at columbia.edu
Mon May 7 11:27:53 PDT 2012

Hello,

Please take a look at this JIRA:

To summarize very briefly, it looks as though the way in which
defined-string subnstitutions are handled in properties files has
changed. In particular, in certain cases, strings don't seem to
fully expand when used in a file different from the one in which
they are defined.

As an example, if you have this config:

-- sakai.properties

serverID=${badstring}

-- local.properties

badstring=BADBADBAD

Then you will see "Server ${badstring}" instead of "Server
BADBADBAD" in the page footer.

It doesn't appear to affect strings used in "bean-style"
properties so sepcifying database passwords in
security.properties and using the "${sting}" syntax still works.
Adn substitutions within the same file (e.g., sakai.properties)
are unaffected as well.

I came across this problem using a local 1.2.6 kernel (Sakai 2.8)
that had been modified with specific backports from 1.3. I was
able to confirm it in 2.9.0-b01 and above.

Seth