[Building Sakai] Is there any risk involved while changing database timezone

Bryan Holladay holladay at longsight.com
Wed Mar 28 06:01:41 PDT 2012

You should probably be running 2.8.1 since there have been a ton of
bug fixes with issues reported in 2.8.0 (some about timezones like
https://jira.sakaiproject.org/browse/SAK-21111).  Also, the
announcements tool had lots of resolved issues in 2.8.1.

> We want to change database timezone,

Not sure if you need to change it in the DB when you can just set it
in the JavaOpts like:

JAVA_OPTS="-Dhttp.agent=Sakai  -Duser.timezone=America/Los_Angeles ...."

> what tools can effect?.

Calendar is the big one.  Every tool that uses a timestamp
(assignments, GB, T&Q, Forums.....) all will (and should) use the
Timezone.

>Is there any risk involved while changing database timezone.

Sakai handles timezones rather well...  We have several clients that
run in different time zones from the same datacenter.

Thanks,
Bryan