[Building Sakai] Tomcat not shutting down properly

Adams, David da1 at vt.edu
Tue Mar 27 16:47:09 PDT 2012

We've seen this behavior for years. I find it amusing that Aaron's name is in the culprit class. Nevertheless we just have our shutdown script check to see if tomcat is stopped at intervals and kill it after a reasonable amount of time (we've settled on about 15 seconds). It only has to resort to that about half of the time I'd guess. There don't seem to be any ill effects from this forced shutdown. Most everything has shutdown correctly by then, but we've been running that way for years.