[Building Sakai] http://www2.caret.cam.ac.uk/maven2dev/ down

Matthew Buckett matthew.buckett at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Tue Mar 20 04:00:21 PDT 2012

On a build of trunk I notice that it's attempting to update metadata
from a maven repo in caret which is timing out and causing the
validate to fail:

buckett at macbook:~/work/sakai/sakai-trunk-all/checkout$ mvn3 validate
[INFO] Scanning for projects...
Downloading: http://www2.caret.cam.ac.uk/maven2dev/org/sakaiproject/master/2.10-SNAPSHOT/maven-metadata.xml
[WARNING] Could not transfer metadata
org.sakaiproject:master:2.10-SNAPSHOT/maven-metadata.xml from/to
CARET-Maven2-dev (http://www2.caret.cam.ac.uk/maven2dev): Error
transferring file: Operation timed out
[ERROR] The build could not read 3 projects -> [Help 1]
[ERROR]
[ERROR]   The project
org.sakaiproject.purepoms:sakai-standard-tool:2.10-SNAPSHOT
(/Users/buckett/work/sakai/sakai-trunk-all/checkout/purepoms/sakai-standard-tool/pom.xml)
has 1 error
[ERROR]     Non-resolvable parent POM: Could not find artifact
org.sakaiproject.purepoms:sakai-basic-tool:pom:2.10-SNAPSHOT and
'parent.relativePath' points at no local POM @ line 5, column 13 ->
[Help 2]
[ERROR]
[ERROR]   The project
org.sakaiproject.purepoms:sakai-commons-tool:2.10-SNAPSHOT
(/Users/buckett/work/sakai/sakai-trunk-all/checkout/purepoms/sakai-commons-tool/pom.xml)
has 1 error
[ERROR]     Non-resolvable parent POM: Could not find artifact
org.sakaiproject.purepoms:sakai-standard-tool:pom:2.10-SNAPSHOT and
'parent.relativePath' points at no local POM @ line 5, column 13 ->
[Help 2]
[ERROR]
[ERROR]   The project
org.sakaiproject.purepoms:sakai-edu-tool:2.10-SNAPSHOT
(/Users/buckett/work/sakai/sakai-trunk-all/checkout/purepoms/sakai-edu-tool/pom.xml)
has 1 error
[ERROR]     Non-resolvable parent POM: Could not find artifact
org.sakaiproject.purepoms:sakai-commons-tool:pom:2.10-SNAPSHOT and
'parent.relativePath' points at no local POM @ line 5, column 13 ->
[Help 2]
[ERROR]
[ERROR] To see the full stack trace of the errors, re-run Maven with
the -e switch.
[ERROR]
please read the following articles:
[ERROR] [Help 1]
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/ProjectBuildingException
[ERROR] [Help 2]
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/MAVEN/UnresolvableModelException

I imagine this repo came in because of RSF artifacts, to me this looks
like it should be removed.

buckett at macbook:~/work/sakai/sakai-trunk-all/checkout$ find . -name
pom.xml | xargs grep -l http://www2.caret.cam.ac.uk/ | grep -v target
./gradebook/app/ui/pom.xml
./mailsender/tool/pom.xml

Every maven repository we add slows down the build, increases the
amount of network traffic from developers and makes the build more
brittle.

--
  Matthew Buckett
  VLE Developer, LTG, Oxford University Computing Services