[Building Sakai] Oxford Citations Helper work

Jim Eng jimeng at umich.edu
Wed Jun 27 14:34:53 PDT 2012

Hi Adrian,

I think the assumption was that citation lists would never be very long -- maybe a few hundred citations for an extremely long list.  Sorting was done in memory in the tool, if I recall correctly.

One approach would be to add a property to a citation_collection to indicate that it as a custom-ordering and then add a property to each citation in a custom-ordered citation_collection to indicate its index.  Then you would need to define a comparator that would be used for those citation lists.  You'd need to deal with a couple possible errors:

Citations without an custom-order-index (possibly because they were added after the ordering was defined) should sort to the top or bottom (and not cause a null-pointer)
You need a tie-breaker for citations with the same index or no custom-order-index.  For example, sort on custom-order-index first and break ties with some other existing comparator.

That will be as performant as any other sort if they are also done in memory.

If you feel that is not a good solution, you could add the table you described, but that seems to have potential problems.  Sometimes you would be getting the list of citations in a collection using the sakai:hasCitation entries, and other times you would be getting them from this new table.  Not sure how well that would work.

Jim