[Building Sakai] nightly trunk down

Seth Theriault slt at columbia.edu
Wed Jun 27 08:57:48 PDT 2012

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 9:50 AM, Noah Botimer <botimer at umich.edu> wrote:
> Really, we should avoid LONG columns completely. They mostly work, but
> VARCHAR2 and CLOB behave better and aren't deprecated. There is a
> straightforward conversion if you have LONG fields already.
>
> With Oracle, the boundary is 4000, so anything that could end up being
> "quite long", like HTML fields, should be a CLOB out of the gate.

+17.

Sakai should never create a LONG type column in a conversion script or
via auto.ddl for an Oracle database of any kind. We must do whatever
is necessary to force LOBs where needed.

In fact, Oracle specifically recommends converting LONG columns to LOB
columns as part of any database upgrade:

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e23633/afterup.htm#autoId12

Seth