[Building Sakai] Updating component jars during development

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Mon Jun 25 07:09:00 PDT 2012

Right, the components directory is a Sakai creation outside of Sakai and
there was never anything added for reloading of components (like how tomcat
can reload context and webapps). The easiest solution today is a hardware
solution, just use a fast SSD to run Sakai off of. What took over 2 minutes
on a magnetic drive takes under 30 seconds off of one of those.

If you do what Adrian suggests and remove stuff you can get it easily
restarted in under 10 seconds.

Though since I don't have a SSD in my local notebook (but have 8GB of RAM),
I'll often setup 1GB ramdisk as /tmp and run deploys on that. That's super
easy. (rsync if you care about the data or just a property for
${sakai.home})