[Building Sakai] Snapshots in Sonatype repo

Matthew Jones matthew at longsight.com
Fri Jun 22 07:59:23 PDT 2012

Okay, well that sounds like a good plan then,

I filed this jira as:

We'll need to go into every tool's base pom and add

<relativePath>../master/pom.xml</relativePath>

to the parents where the parent is master and it has no relativePath. This
will ensure local builds are still successful and it uses the correct
master.  I'd guess this would take 30-60 minutes depending on how quick
someone is. :)

We may also want to add the sonatype snapshot repository to every indie so
it can build completely standalone. This is something that for sure should
be in contrib projects 2.9+. .And it works in 2.9-SNAPSHOT master, though
not needed at ALL with a fixed 2.9.0-b05 version since that's in maven
central.

<repositories>
<repository>
<id>sonatype-nexus-snapshots</id>
<name>Sonatype Nexus Snapshots</name>
<url>
https://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/snapshots
</url>
<releases>
<enabled>false</enabled>
</releases>
<snapshots>
<enabled>true</enabled>
</snapshots>
</repository>
</repositories>

Then I can go to jenkins and add deploy:deploy to every task for trunk and
rebuild it. The actual work to do this is about 30 minutes, but will take
Jenkins hours to actually get them deployed.

During this cleanup every project should also be edited to:

- Discard old artifacts instead of old builds. Every project is set to get
rid of old builds, when it can be nice having the build history and build
history is small, artifacts are the things that take up the space, so we
only need to keep at most 1 old artifacts and all old builds.

- Not poll the SCM as often. We're looking into moving to cloud bees. If we
do go there, we don't want to build as often because it will be expensive.
Right now snapshots are checked and possibly built every 15 minutes and/or
when another dependency is built. I feel like just checking and building
every hour should be sufficient.