[Building Sakai] Oracle pool tunning

Martin B. Smith smithmb at ufl.edu
Mon Jun 18 11:51:46 PDT 2012

On 06/15/2012 11:02 AM, Evandro Pires Alves wrote:
> Hi
>
> Can someone help me on a issue about the maximum number of connections
> to the database (Oracle 11g R2). My database administrator only let me
> use 15 and I think that's too little because after 300~400 active
> sessions Sakai starts to get slow.
>
> My boss told me to ask the community:)
>
> I have disabled the presence tool and I'm running with 5Gib of RAM on a
> 64bit Debian squeeze.
>
> Thanks:)

Hi Evandro,

At the University of Florida, with 11gR2, we do 50 connections per app
server connection pool, with a total of 10 app servers. We recommend
fixing the pool size so that you aren't creating and destroying them; we
found this performed better and avoided any bugs in the pooling
implementation.

With that size pool, we can regularly support above 1k users per
application server (and we see bursts for higher). And we haven't hit
any limits where we've had to grow the pool, so I think those are pretty
safe sizing numbers.

Hope it helps,
--
Martin B. Smith