[Building Sakai] IMPORT FROM SITE - possible BUG

JOSE MARIANO LUJAN GONZALEZ jmariano at um.es
Thu Jul 12 06:16:44 PDT 2012

Hi Yitna,

We were thinking about hiding the resources tool at least; because we
have the following use case to avoid:

  - Most of our course sites have various sections and all of them are
managed by different instructors [INSTRUCTOR A, INSTRUCTOR B, INSTRUCTOR
C...] (those instructors only have access to their respective sections
[SECTION 1, SECTION 2, SECTION 3...]). Sometimes, this sections use
different course materials.

[i.e.  INSTRUCTOR A assigned only to SECTION 2
         INSTRUCTOR B assigned only to SECTION 1
         INSTRUCTOR C assigned to SECTION 3 and SECTION 2]

  - So when an Instructor [i.e. INSTRUCTOR A]  uploads his documents to
the Resources tool, he will set the permissions to be only viewable by
his section [SECTION 2] and therefore instructor [INSTRUCTOR B and
students from that section] wont have access to those files. [INSTRUCTOR
C] will have access to those files.

- So for example, next academic year, INSTRUCTOR A, uses the*Import from
Site* tool to bring his materials to his new site. With the testing that
i´ve done, the import is bringing all folders from the old site (even
the ones assigned to other groups - POSSIBLE BUG - Actually those
folders assigned to other groups are empty in this new site but still is
annoying and confusing to instructors in the new site). The content
imported is actually the same that the instructor was able to see in the
old site -- OK --, the possible bug are those empty folders created by
the import.

- Another problem that we see is that if all instructors from the new
site are going to import separately (so that each one can bring all his
stuff from his section in the old site) and by mistake some of them
choose "I would like to replace my data
<https://aulavirtual.um.es/portal/tool/419a9513-df5e-407b-bfc8-19be5c831c53?panel=Main&sakai_action=doMenu_siteInfo_importMigrate>"
they would be deleting each others stuff in the new site. I understand
that is a local problem and i´m not sure that other have come to the
same problem.

POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS I WAS LOOKING FOR:

- maybe hide the option "I would like to replace my data
<https://aulavirtual.um.es/portal/tool/419a9513-df5e-407b-bfc8-19be5c831c53?panel=Main&sakai_action=doMenu_siteInfo_importMigrate>"
if possible???
- maybe hide resources from the list of available tools and tell
instructors to use the resources tool to copy material from one site to
another site????

I´m still trying to analyze all use cases that could be a problem when
instructors use this tool next month. If anyone has something to add, it
would be much appreciated!!!
thanks,
mariano